Why Born in a Barn?

Well, we live in one. Kinda. Want the extended version? Click here.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010


I wanted to write about my d&c experiece because I am hoping that it will be therapeutic/healing in some way for me. Also, if there is someone that stumbles across my blog, and sadly finds themselves in the same position, hopefully it can help them as well. I was lucky to have someone to answer questions for me, and it helped to not go into it all totally blind.
I had to arrive at the hospital at 8 am, with the surgery scheduled for 10:00. I was taken to a private room, filled out a couple forms, answered basic questions, changed into the dreaded hospital gown, climbed into the bed & waited.
I had my IV inserted, and blood drawn. I was very happy that neither one hurt to do, but a few minutes after the IV was in, my hand and arm were in pain. I'm glad I asked the nurse, instead of just dealing with it, bc something went wrong. Once it was redone in my other arm there was no pain.
My doctor & the anesthesiologist came in to talk to me at different times. They explained what would be done and asked if I had any questions.
I was taken into surgery earlier than scheduled. As I was being wheeled through the hallways, I just kept thinking how it felt like I was in a movie. The whole scenario just still didn't feel real. As I was moving from my bed to the table, the anesthesiologist told me I would start to feel drowsy.
I then woke up in a recovery room. I asked for them to bring my husband in to see me. Before the surgery they said he would be in my room once I got out of recovery, but they went ahead and let him come in. I was still a little out of it at this point. I can't remember how long I was in the recovery room until they wheeled me once again to another private room. I was told once I drank something, ate, and went to the bathroom I could be released.
I was not expecting to be so bloated. I made the mistake of looking in a mirror in the bathroom. I actually looked pregnant. It did go down right away though, thankfully. The worst part after surgery for me, physcially, was the pain when I went to the bathroom. I am no stranger to uti's, but this was BAD. As in, I would cry if I had to pee. It helped a little to chug water. And, the pain is now gone today. So, it didn't last too long.
I have had some cramping off and on, but nothing too bad. I did get pain meds, and have taken them when I feel any cramping coming on. I haven't slept all that much, and without the pills I know sleep would have been even harder to come by than it has been.
The physcial part has been much easier than the emotional, but that is what I expected. I took this whole week off work, and haven't been out of bed for more than a few minutes at a time. I am not looking forward to facing the real world again.

No comments:

Post a Comment